Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Job interviews in high unemloyment times

Week after week 10 or 20 lonely bodies show up looking for work. With the economy being in the state that it is I seem to be seeing the good, the bad and the ugly. This weeks group interviews proved to be one of the most unusual and yet entertaining. I had about 25 applicants show up and we all squeezed into the T.V. parlor. After spending about an hour with them clearly detailing what life as a care giver would entail I pull them aside one by one to review their applications.

The first woman that sits down at my side has the arrest box checked with will explain during the interview. These are always good. She talks about how she has a felony from in the mid 90's for drug trafficking. I kindly explain that since she has a felony we cannot hire her. Here is where things get interesting as she gets pissed off at me! I was lectured on how I just wasted her time and it should be stated on the application that we do not accept felonies. The woman went off for a good 4 minutes. You're right! It is my fault you jacked up your job prospects by selling drugs.

The second woman comes she has a felony for grand theft auto for stealing her boyfriends car. She expressed it as borrowing his car but never giving it back. Now isn't that sweet.

The third couldn't explain what exactly she was charged with just wrote "severed community hours for refusing to put sick cat to sleep". Hmm there is something wrong with this picture. Well what happened? Her cat was sick and the furnace man called the police on her. I didn't know this could get weirder but it is. So what exactly was she charged with? A misdemeanor. A misdemeanor for what? I never could get a straight answer but my suspicion was animal cruelty. She then cried as the interview went on..... NEXT!

One hour later I have weeded through my applicants and have 2 I can actually use. As I hand the large stack of applicants to the front desk for rejection letters to be sent out I have a phone call. An interviewee has called back to bitch me out. (All this for an $8.00 position?)

Now let's get this straight. It is my fault she showed up 40 minutes EARLY for the interview. Then when it is time for one on one reviews it is my fault again that she did not go first when I asked who wants to go first. I was magically supposed to know and remember that she came 40 minutes early and should be first. Apparently according to her I need to pass out numbers (what is this a deli?). She did not take it lightly when I explained that if she can't handle waiting 2 hours through an interview process there was no shot in hell I would hire her. Well apparently she doesn't want to work at an $8.00 an hour job. Then why are you calling me and wasting my time, I asked? She must not have liked that either because she hung up on me.

Must be a full mood.

No comments: