Tomorrow is the last cake class. Our challenge was to build a cake using some of the techniques we learned. Of course I have been watching too much television and decided that I did not want a plain old tiered cake. I decided to shoot for a cake that had a hat on top. My inspiration came from the boulder hats you see around St. Patrick's Day. We learned to make carnations (and yes everything is edible!) But I needed more then just that, so I found a way to make shamrocks too by taking the small heart cut outs and putting them together.
The class was very interesting and this is actually the first cake I have ever done (I know I look like a professional cake maker!! Don't I???) :) I was surprised because fondant is a lot like clay so it can be pretty easy to work with (but it picks up dust and fibers very easily which can be a pain). There is also gum paste, which hardens like a rock but is very fragile. This too is edible. The gum paste is like a stiffer clay that can be manipulated into a lot of shapes.
So here is my finale!!


Here is a close up of the carnations and shamrocks.



So that is the big finish to the class! It turned out even better then I hoped it could. The base of the cake and the hat are all made of actual cake just covered with fondant.
No comments:
Post a Comment