Thursday, July 10, 2008

On the In-law watch

Another day and another dose of frustration. The morning began with Jonathan's dad refusing to want to go to the endocrinologist at the Cleveland Clinic. I said "That's nice, it's not an option and you are going anyways." He didn't eat at 3am like he was supposed to so his blood sugar level took a dump again this morning. He managed to maintain it the rest of the morning and on his way to the doctors. Which I drove them up to in order to make sure the proper information was communicated. It was a good thing we went too, his doctor said that the one diabetes pill that he was on was horrible to take when your creatin levels were high. (Creatinelevels have something to do with your kidney and since he only has one now the levels are too high and this is not good.) I guess it could have caused a side effect where the mortality rate is over 50%. That alone made us right for forcing them to go.

So all was well and we had the medications adjusted. We came home and went out to get a bite to eat. We ate at the French Coffee Shop, they have the best French onion soup! I also had my first crepe. It was an apple cinnamon one, very yummy. I highly recommend that too. Any ways when we came back to the house I installed a standing air conditioning unit on the mid level of the house. We don't have air conditioning and the warmth in the house midday has been bothering his mom. So I started to install it in one window, they didn't want it there, so I moved it 2 windows over and now I have to get the sticky foam thing off the windowsill with goo-gone at some point in the near future. I did get the unit installed and working so it feels nice and cool now. Did I mention I had to move all the furniture down too because of this? Gotta love it!

Finally time to rest. Dad checked his sugar level and hello it was a whooping 488! What the hell?!? Checked it again, maybe it was wrong, 357. What in the... Check it again 210. Ok I guess it's time to call the doctor. They page the resident doctor on call and he acts like it is no big deal. He just tells me to start the new medication. Well that's not what the doctor we saw today said, she told us to wait until he had not been below 80 for 24 hours. He still had another 12 hours to go. I guess I didn't really care for his answer because I began searching for a second opinion.

I ran down to the pharmacy where they were so helpful. They gave me a free blood sugar monitor to ensure that he is old one was not wrong. They called into his insurance company and ordered him extra test strips and the pharmacist called his RN wife to see what her opinion was on whether or not we needed to call 911. I then spoke to Amy too. Amy pretty much thought I was crazy and asked why the hell we have been taking his blood sugar every 10 minutes. Ok well she didn't use the word hell, she doesn't swear, but obviously I do. She told me that since it had leveled off he was fine and recommended not take his pill tonight because if his blood sugar dropped it could be bad. She was right and it made complete sense. After that we all calmed down.

I returned home all proud with the free blood sugar monitor, new test strips and his prescription. But I think I am clocking out for the evening now and going off duty. Jonathan can take over from here.

Ok well it's time to watch Last Comic Standing and veg out. I've punched out and I need a drink!

1 comment:

Amy said...

Oh Melissa, you are so cute!

Your poor father in law fingers are probably sick of getting poked. Hopefully once he starts his new meds today everything will be okay. (Maybe go back to checking his bld sugar only 4 times a day - before meals and bedtime).

Enjoy your air conditioning.